Saturday, March 13, 2010

Seared tuna and an apple and avacado salad.


Let's be honest here, the tuna out of a can just doesn't do the tuna species justice. I was out in Astoria Oregon with my dad a few years ago and we had fresh grilled tuna sandwiches and grilled oysters, I thought I was in heaven, it was so goood. My favorite little restaurant in Port Aransas, Tx serves a nice little seared tuna so I decided to give it a shot.


The secret is to start with good tuna. I'm in Kansas now so it's hard to find fresh tuna so I used vacuum packaged and frozen tuna, but if you are on a coast use the freshest you can get.

I coated the tuna with a simple rub of kosher salt, black pepper and parsley.
Then I seared it on high for about 1 1/2 mins on each side in a pan with EVOO, rice vinegar and a drop or two of soy sauce. Then thin sliced it to serve it with the meal. I personally add a drop of wasabi behind each slice but I love wasabi so don't put it if you can't handle it.

The apple and avacado salad was a lot better then I expected. It is one gala apple and one avacado sliced and stacked and topped with some blueberries and a homemade blueberry-pomegranate vinaigrette, that I adapted from my dad's recipe.

Blueberry pomegranate vinaigrette
  1. 1/2 cup blueberries
  2. 1/2 cup pomegranate juice (POM the real stuff works best)
  3. 1/4 cup EVOO
  4. 1/8 cup Red Wine Vinegar
  5. Basil
  6. Salt
  7. Pepper
  8. Garlic
Blend the blueberries and pomegranate juice together to make a mixture. Then reduce it to a thick sauce on the stove (in a pot of course). Then add the other ingredients and blend it together. I store mine in a tuberware in my fridge and use it on a lot of salads.

No comments:

Post a Comment