Saturday, August 9, 2014

Wild Mushroom and Quail

So it has been a long time since I have done anything on this blog, 4 years to be exact.  Man where does the time go.  Well some updates I got married and we had our first child, that's why it's been so long (that's my excuse).



Recently my wife and I have started hunting wild mushrooms.   We've actually done it for a while, but usually only when camping.  Now we go just f,or mushrooms. Were we live there are about 6 or 7 wild edible mushrooms (hundreds of inedibles so be careful).  We focus on about 5 of them King Boletes (also known as Porcinis, Cepes,  Steinpilz, and several other names), Oysters, Chanterelles (Pfifferling), Morels, and Shaggy Mane.  Obviously I only get them in season so the recipes for them will come when I have them, except the ones I dry.

So without further adieu here is the newest recipe.

Sauce:

1 lb Porcinis
3 tbsp Butter
1 tbsp mince Garlic
3 cups Chicken Broth
Pinch of Thyme (because I can)
Salt and Peper to taste
Cornstarch

Start by melting the butter in a heavy saucepan, I personally like cast iron.  Cube the Porcinis into 1/2 in squares.   Sautée them in the butter with the garlic, thyme, and salt and pepper.  Once the porcinis are tender add the chicken broth.  Let this mixture come to a light boil then add about 2 or 3 tbsp cornstarch to 1/4 cup water and whisk it together then add it to mushroom mixture to thicken the sauce.

Poultry:
12 quail (6 Cornish Game Hens, or Grouse,  or 2 chickens)
Salt and Pepper to taste
Thyme ( again because I can)

Preheat oven to 500

Put the birds in a casserole dish, salt and pepper them liberally,  sprinkle some thyme on each bird as well.  Covery them with the mushroom sauce and bake for about 25 to 30 minutes,  be sure and check the birds for doneness with a meat thermometer (160°F).

I serve this on some mashed potatoes,  which I'm sure you can handle.

This is what it looks like.




No comments:

Post a Comment