Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Porcini and Beef Stroganoffishy

So I don't really know what to call this, it is kind of like a stroganoff but I'm not sure it truly is, so it gets to be called Stroganoffishy (my wife loves to make up words like Dr. Seuss so I figured I'd give it a try).  I went out this evening to pick mushrooms while my wife and her friend (she knows who she is) went to pick huckleberries.  I love summer because it is light so late it feels like you can do so much in a day.  The two of them thought I wouldn't pick very many because it was a new spot and there are a lot of huckleberry bushes on the ground which can make it hard to see mushrooms (although it is nice to eat hucklberries while looking for mushrooms).  I parked my truck and walked in to some woods to search and my searching was heavily rewarded.  I found roughly 40 lbs of Porcinis, most of them young fresh grade A Porcinis, by the way I learned another name for them, Penny Buns.

Our Harvest
So I found a bunch.

These 3 were growing together.
This guy was 5 lbs.  Not me the mushroom.
So we sat out on the lawn of my wife's friend's (can you do two possessives in a row) house and talked then I remembered that I had read that Porcinis were good raw too, so I took a bite and I instantly realized why these meals I'd been making were so good.  It wasn't me it was the Porcinis, oh man they are tasty.  My wife's friend (not sure if they want me using names) was scraping the last little bit of Porcini to off the dirt.  

The meal:
1 lb flat iron (I recommend flat iron because it is very tender and very flavorful)
1 lb Porcini (cubed)
1 onion minced
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp butter
Salt and Pepper
Thyme
Can of Beef Broth (like 2 or 3 cups)
4 tbsp flour
1 cup Cream



Cut the flat iron in to strips about 1/2 x 1/2 inch.  Season with salt, pepper, and thyme.  Brown in the butter and olive oil.  Cook the onion and porcini until they are tender.



Add the flour to the skillet and stir it in.  Then add the beef broth and cream and let it simmer for about 5 minutes more or until thickened.


Serve over some mashed potatoes, rice, or your favorite noodle, and you have a nice tasty meal.


No comments:

Post a Comment